Defining a Perfect Admission Essay
We all wish we knew exactly what teachers wanted out of us. That way, we could produce excellent work every single time – say hello to straight A’s! However, we don’t know what teachers want all the time. Even more unfortunately, we don’t know what colleges want out of us. Admission essays are, supposedly, our chance to show ourselves off to the colleges we wish to attend. However, students find more commonly that admission essays are headaches – difficult tasks that produce little result. Understanding how to produce the perfect admission essay, though, could help many students move from sullen disappoint to victorious admission! Always remember that the perfect admission essay will be an essay that…
- Starts with a great, catchy hook. The best essays always have the most memorable beginnings and endings. To make your essay noteworthy, you need to have a great, intriguing opening. This could be an incredible story, a deep quote, or even a thought-provoking question. The key is to capture the reader’s attention as quickly as possible, and keep it locked on your essay for as long as possible.
- Is clear and well organized. A jumbled mess of an essay won’t be scoring any brownie points. The best admission essays are defined by their attention to detail and their flawless structural organization. Ideas should flow smoothly, be easy to understand and present in a logical order. This is one of the best ways to ensure an admission officer’s respect and favor.
- Is insightful, but not overkill. A great college admission essay should display some insight by the student into who they are, their goals at how the college will help them get there. This does not, however, mean that students should spend several pages extolling their many great virtues. Perfect admission essays show student that can adequately evaluate themselves and the benefits of the school. This kind of insight encourages colleges to admit levelheaded and confident students.
- Is free of error. A perfect admission essay should be perfect in all ways – including grammatical, spelling and word usage! Editing and proofreading can help you catch any and all errors that may exist in your essay. A perfect admission essay should have no grammatical issues causing strife for the reader.
- Is an honest reflection of you. In the end, the bet admission essays are the ones that stay truly honest to themselves. This is what colleges want above everything else: someone that knows themselves, and is willing to share and improve. If you’re seeking admission to your favorite college, stay true to yourself in the application essay – the admission officer’s will appreciate it!